Zawadi la Tumaini Children's Home began in March 2013 as a home for orphaned and abandoned children. The organization provides quality education, medical care, and support to 26 orphaned and abandoned children. In addition the organization also operates annual clinics for elderly members of the community, eye glasses clinics - providing eye glasses to over 1000+ community members in Soweto Slum (Nairobi), and in 2017 launched programs to assist young single mothers in an effort to minimize the orphan crisis.
Since 2013 Zawadi la Tumaini has served as an advocate for quality care for orphaned and abandoned children. We have actively shared concerns with the corruption within the orphan care system globally and engaged in private consulting for donor groups supporting Kenyan children's homes, assessing if the homes that they are supporting are operating under transparent procedures and using funds to best support the children within their care.
We understand that the need to strongly advocate for quality orphan care is now. Zawadi la Tumaini has continuously been developing new programs to assist the elderly and single mothers within our community, providing a loving home to orphaned children within an environment that builds strong family bonds, advocating for the rights of orphaned and abandoned children - and we would love for YOU to join our team!
Are you passionate about working with children? If so, we need you to serve as a role model, aunty, program creator, homework helper, liaison to our Director in Canada, and overall advocate for orphan care in our Children's Coordinator position!
The ideal candidate for this position will have a deep background in social work or working with children, bright ideas for developing activities for our 26 children, patience and understand when learning new cultures through our community outreach programs, and a gift for story telling while updating our social media pages and blog. You will know our children, and our programs assisting the community inside and out, and have the opportunity to tell the amazing stories of our children, staff, and community with the world!
You are passionate to make a difference and use that drive to make a lasting impact in the lives of our children and the community.
- Take beautiful photos of our children sharing their unique personalities with our supporters and future donors
- Use story telling to share the successes of our programs assisting the general community
- Form relationships with our team on the ground, and members of the community, to add to the continued growth for our children and members of the community assist by our programs
- Think creatively about activities to actively engage the children and add to their understanding of english
- Actively carry out activities and alternative therapy to assist our children with overcoming their trauma
This position will report to the Director in Canada, and will work closely with staff in Kenya, especially our In-Country Manager.
Lodging, food, and $300 USD per month.
- Experience within the medical / social work / or child care and education sectors
- Familiarity with using photo/video apps on a smart phone
- Innovative ideas in creating programs from the ground level
- Excellent communications skills and attention to detail
- Strong writer, able to touch people’s hearts through storytelling
- Willingness to learn and appreciate new cultures
- Ability to think creatively to communicate our programs to supporters around the world
- Dedication to Zawadi la Tumaini's mission and values
- Desire to learn about the orphan care system
- Task-oriented, organized and prompt
- Flexible to go with the flow - which is 100% necessary in Kenya!
- Ability to work well in a team and independently
- Volunteer experiences abroad, specially within Africa
- Familiarity with nonprofit organizational structure
How to Apply: If you want to make a dramatic impact for amazing children, women, and youth in Kenya we’d love to hear from you. Along with your cover letter and CV, please upload a short 2 minute video of why you would like to work with the Zawadi la Tumaini team and your top 3 ideas for program implementation with our children that you believe will enhance their lives.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through February 22nd, 2017. We look forward to hearing from you! For more information, please visit our website at www.zlthope.org or email email@example.com.